Allied Health Care (Geriatrics)
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Occupational Associate Degree Programme in Allied Health Care (Geriatrics) is developed for persons who are desirous of developing the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to become well-rounded in providing direct health care to the elderly including nutrition for the elderly with special needs.
Upon completion of this programme graduates should be able to:
- Efficiently apply the theories of aging to geriatric care
- Promote and supervise health and wellness in the elderly/older adults
- Apply an understanding of complementary and alternative medicine & polypharmacy issues in older adults
- Promote safety while interacting with the elderly
- Apply the understanding of age related disorders in geriatric care
The competencies and professional skills to be developed by this programme are the basis for an expanding variety of rewarding careers locally and internationally as a:
- Geriatric Supervisor
- Patient Care Coordinator/ Assistant
- Personal Care Giver/Assistant
- Assistant Geriatric Nurse Assistant
- Infirmary, Hospice and Nursing Homes Care Supervisors
Click tabs below to view programme information including the application process, duration, fees and study hours.
As well you can download programme document detailing programme curriculum to include information related to semester, course outline and assessment.
Registration for the UCCA Occupational Associate Degree Programme is now open and will close September 2023.
To register prospective students must complete and submit application along with the following documents
- Tax Registration Number (TRN)
- Birth Certififcate
- One Passport Size Photo
- Proof of Qualifications (CXC, NVQJ Level 2 or City & Guilds Certification)
After applications are submitted you will receive a provisional acceptance letter with instructions on how to enrol.
The duration of study is projected for two (2) years across four administrative semesters and a summer internship/externship component.
Programme fees are One Hundred and Ten Thousand Dollars ($110,000.00) JMD per year which includes miscellaneous fees.
- Fees are payable before completion of semester
- Additional fees apply to international students
- Scholarships available for students sitting CXC ‘s in 2023
Programme Study Hours
Students are required to attend classes held daily from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Please note classes are online and face-to-face depending on module.
All students are expected to complete a work internship, externship programme and this is a necessary component for graduation.